Re: [musl] AT_MINSIGSTKSZ mismatched interpretation kernel vs libc

On Sat, Aug 31, 2024 at 08:09:49AM -0700, H.J. Lu wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 31, 2024 at 8:03 AM Rich Felker <dalias@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Aug 31, 2024 at 11:29:02AM +0200, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> > > * Rich Felker <dalias@xxxxxxxx> [2024-08-29 16:54:38 -0400]:

> > > i think it makes sense that the kernel sets AT_MINSIGSTKSZ
> > > according to what the kernel needs (signal frame size)
> > > anything beyond that is up to userspace requirements (e.g.
> > > the kernel cannot know if the libc wraps signal handlers)
> > >
> > > it's up to the libc to adjust sysconf(_SC_MINSIGSTKSZ)
> > > according to posix or backward compat requirements.
> >
> > I think this is a reasonable viea and means the aux key was just very
> > poorly named. It should have been called something like
> > AT_SIGFRAMESIZE to indicate to the userspace-side consumer that it's
> > not a suitable value for MINSIGSTKSZ, only a contributing term for it.
> >
> > Rich
>
> glibc manual has
>
> ‘_SC_MINSIGSTKSZ’
>
>      Inquire about the minimum number of bytes of free stack space
>      required in order to guarantee successful, non-nested handling of a
>      single signal whose handler is an empty function.
>
>           ‘MINSIGSTKSZ’
>                This is the amount of signal stack space the operating
>                system needs just to implement signal delivery.  The size
>                of a signal stack *must* be greater than this.
>
>                For most cases, just using ‘SIGSTKSZ’ for ‘ss_size’ is
>                sufficient.  But if you know how much stack space your
>                program's signal handlers will need, you may want to use
>                a different size.  In this case, you should allocate
>                ‘MINSIGSTKSZ’ additional bytes for the signal stack and
>                increase ‘ss_size’ accordingly.

This is ambiguously worded (does "operating system" mean kernel?) and
does not agree with POSIX, which defines it as:

    Minimum stack size for a signal handler.

And otherwise just specifies that sigaltstack shall fail if given a
smaller size.

The POSIX definition is also underspecified but it's clear that it
should be possible to execute at least a do-nothing signal handler
(like one which immediately returns and whose sole purpose is to
induce EINTR when intalled without SA_RESTART), or even a minimal one
that does something like storing to a global variable, with such a
small stack. Allowing a size where even a do-nothing signal handler
results in a memory-clobbering overflow or access fault seems
non-conforming to me.

The historical sizes all allowed for 1k of execution space on top of
what the historical signal frames consumed, and more for some archs. I
don't think there's a POSIX contract to include that much, but I think
there is a backwards-compatibility motivation to do so. Otherwise
there will be application that were working when
sysconf(_SC_MINSIGSTKSZ) historical_val as the result of
max(value_from_aux,historial_val), but which break catastrophically as
soon as value_from_aux is bigger than historical_val-sigframe_size.

Rich