Re: termios constants should be unsigned

Hi Elliott, Paul,

On Wed, Jun 12, 2024 at 01:47:03PM GMT, enh wrote:
> well, any change like this is a potential source incompatibility ... i
> hacked these changes into AOSP, and it did break one bit of existing
> code that was already working around the sign differences --- this
> warning was enabled but the code had a cast to make the _other_ side
> of the comparison signed (rather than make this side of the comparison
> unsigned).
>
> Android's libc [bionic] uses the uapi headers directly, so we would be
> affected, but to be clear --- i'm fine with this if the consensus is
> to go this way.

Hmmm; I see.  I guess for this already-existent case we can just live
with it.  Then I'll just ask to consider using unsigned constants for
new stuff that is a bit pattern and not just a number.

Let's drop the patch.

Have a lovely day!
Alex

> (but, yeah, i'm with the "how about we fix the language and compiler
> rather than all the extant code?" sentiment from Paul Eggert.)

Hmmm, can agree to that.  At least if we don't continue writing bad code
for the new one.  :)

--
<https://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>