Re: RFC: Restricting userspace interfaces for CXL fabric management

On Thu, 21 Mar 2024 14:41:00 -0700
Sreenivas Bagalkote <sreenivas.bagalkote@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thank you for kicking off this discussion, Jonathan.

Hi Sreenivas,

> We need guidance from the community.
>
> 1. Datacenter customers must be able to manage PCIe switches in-band.

What is the use case? My understanding so far is that clouds and
similar sometimes use an in band path but it would be from a management
only host, not a general purpose host running other software. Sure
that control host just connects to a different upstream port so, from
a switch point of view, it's the same as any other host.  From a host
software point of view it's not running general cloud workloads or
(at least in most cases) a general purpose OS distribution.

This is the key question behind this discussion.

> 2. Management of switches includes getting health, performance, and error
> telemetry.

For telemetry(subject to any odd corners like commands that might lock
the interface up for a long time, which we've seen with commands in the
Spec!) I don't see any problem supporting those on all host software.
They should be non destructive to other hosts etc.

> 3. These telemetry functions are not yet part of the CXL standard

Ok, so this we should try to pin down the boundaries around this.
The thread linked below lays out the reasoning behind a general rule
of not accepting vendor defined commands, but perhaps there are routes
to answer some of those concerns.

'Maybe' if you were to publish a specification for those particular
vendor defined commands, it might be fine to add them to the allow list
for the switch-cci. Key here is that Broadcom would be committing to not
using those particular opcodes from the vendor space for anything else
in the future (so we could match on VID + opcode).  This is similar to
some DVSEC usage in PCIe (and why DVSEC is different from VSEC).

Effectively you'd be publishing an additional specification building on CXL.
Those are expected to surface anyway from various standards orgs - should
we treat a company published one differently?  I don't see why.
Exactly how this would work might take some figuring out (in main code,
separate driver module etc?)

That specification would be expected to provide a similar level of detail
to CXL spec defined commands (ideally the less vague ones, but meh, up to
you as long as any side effects are clearly documented!)

Speaking for myself, I'd consider this approach.
Particularly true if I see clear effort in the standards org to push
these into future specifications as that shows broadcom are trying to
enhance the ecosystems.

> 4. We built the CCI mailboxes into our PCIe switches per CXL spec and
> developed our management scheme around them.
>
> If the Linux community does not allow a CXL spec-compliant switch to be
> managed via the CXL spec-defined CCI mailbox, then please guide us on
> the right approach. Please tell us how you propose we manage our switches
> in-band.

The Linux community is fine supporting this in the kernel (the BMC or
Fabric Management only host case - option 2 below, so the code will be there)
the question here is what advice we offer to the general purpose
distributions and what protections we need to put in place to mitigate the
'blast radius' concerns.

Jonathan