Re: [net-next 0/3] Per epoll context busy poll support

On Wed, Jan 24, 2024 at 3:20 PM Joe Damato <jdamato@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 24, 2024 at 09:20:09AM +0100, Eric Dumazet wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 24, 2024 at 3:54 AM Joe Damato <jdamato@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Greetings:
> > >
> > > TL;DR This builds on commit bf3b9f6372c4 ("epoll: Add busy poll support to
> > > epoll with socket fds.") by allowing user applications to enable
> > > epoll-based busy polling and set a busy poll packet budget on a per epoll
> > > context basis.
> > >
> > > To allow for this, two ioctls have been added for epoll contexts for
> > > getting and setting a new struct, struct epoll_params.
> > >
> > > This makes epoll-based busy polling much more usable for user
> > > applications than the current system-wide sysctl and hardcoded budget.
> > >
> > > Longer explanation:
> > >
> > > Presently epoll has support for a very useful form of busy poll based on
> > > the incoming NAPI ID (see also: SO_INCOMING_NAPI_ID [1]).
> > >
> > > This form of busy poll allows epoll_wait to drive NAPI packet processing
> > > which allows for a few interesting user application designs which can
> > > reduce latency and also potentially improve L2/L3 cache hit rates by
> > > deferring NAPI until userland has finished its work.
> > >
> > > The documentation available on this is, IMHO, a bit confusing so please
> > > allow me to explain how one might use this:
> > >
> > > 1. Ensure each application thread has its own epoll instance mapping
> > > 1-to-1 with NIC RX queues. An n-tuple filter would likely be used to
> > > direct connections with specific dest ports to these queues.
> > >
> > > 2. Optionally: Setup IRQ coalescing for the NIC RX queues where busy
> > > polling will occur. This can help avoid the userland app from being
> > > pre-empted by a hard IRQ while userland is running. Note this means that
> > > userland must take care to call epoll_wait and not take too long in
> > > userland since it now drives NAPI via epoll_wait.
> > >
> > > 3. Ensure that all incoming connections added to an epoll instance
> > > have the same NAPI ID. This can be done with a BPF filter when
> > > SO_REUSEPORT is used or getsockopt + SO_INCOMING_NAPI_ID when a single
> > > accept thread is used which dispatches incoming connections to threads.
> > >
> > > 4. Lastly, busy poll must be enabled via a sysctl
> > > (/proc/sys/net/core/busy_poll).
> > >
> > > The unfortunate part about step 4 above is that this enables busy poll
> > > system-wide which affects all user applications on the system,
> > > including epoll-based network applications which were not intended to
> > > be used this way or applications where increased CPU usage for lower
> > > latency network processing is unnecessary or not desirable.
> > >
> > > If the user wants to run one low latency epoll-based server application
> > > with epoll-based busy poll, but would like to run the rest of the
> > > applications on the system (which may also use epoll) without busy poll,
> > > this system-wide sysctl presents a significant problem.
> > >
> > > This change preserves the system-wide sysctl, but adds a mechanism (via
> > > ioctl) to enable or disable busy poll for epoll contexts as needed by
> > > individual applications, making epoll-based busy poll more usable.

> [...]

Patch #2 needs the 'why' part, and why would we allow user space to
ask to poll up to 65535 packets...
There is a reason we have a warning in place when a driver attempts to
set a budget bigger than 64.

You cited recent papers,  I wrote this one specific to linux busy
polling ( https://netdevconf.info/2.1/papers/BusyPollingNextGen.pdf )

Busy polling had been in the pipe, when Wei sent her patches and follow ups.

cb038357937ee4f589aab2469ec3896dce90f317 net: fix race between napi
kthread mode and busy poll
5fdd2f0e5c64846bf3066689b73fc3b8dddd1c74 net: add sysfs attribute to
control napi threaded mode
29863d41bb6e1d969c62fdb15b0961806942960e net: implement threaded-able
napi poll loop support

I am saying that I am currently working to implement the kthread busy
polling implementation,
after fixing two bugs in SCTP and UDP (making me wondering if busy
polling is really used these days)

I am also considering unifying napi_threaded_poll() and the
napi_busy_loop(), and seeing your patches
coming make this work more challenging.