Re: proposed libc interface and man page for statmount(2)

On Thu, 16 Nov 2023 at 21:36, Florian Weimer <fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In addition to Adhemerval's observation that we'd prefer to have some
> hint regarding the buffer size, it's probably better to have entirely
> separate interfaces because it makes static analysis easier.  With a
> unified interface, we can still convey the information with an inline
> wrapper function, but we can avoid that complexity.

I'm not against having separate allocating and the non-allocating interfaces.

But I don't think the allocating one needs a size hint.   Your
suggestion of passing a buffer on the stack to the syscall and then
copying to an exact sized malloc should take care of it.   If the
stack buffer is sized generously, then the loop will never need to
repeat for any real life case.

Thanks,
Miklos