Re: x86 CPU features detection for applications (and AMX)

* Enrico Weigelt:

> On 01.07.21 10:21, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> * Enrico Weigelt:
>>
>>> And I'm repeating my previous questions: can you name some actual real
>>> world (not hypothetical or academical) scenarios where:
>>>
>>> somebody really needs some binary-only application &&
>>> needs those extra modules *into that* application &&
>>> cannot recompile these modules into the applications's prefix &&
>>> needs AMX in that application &&
>>> cannot just use chroot &&
>>> cannot put it into container ?
>> There are no real-world scenarios yet which involve AMX, so I'm not
>> sure
>> what you are after with this question.
>
> Okay, let's take AMX out of the equation (until it actually arrives
> in the field). How does it look like then ?

We have customers that want to use name service switch (NSS) plugins in
proprietary software and who do not want to distribute the (GNU)
toolchain with their application.  The latter excludes
chroot/containers.  Some applications more or less require to run
directly on the host (e.g., if they have some system monitoring aspect).

Thanks,
Florian