RE: open_by_handle_at() in userns

> On Thu, Apr 08, 2021 at 06:54:52PM +0300, Amir Goldstein wrote:
> > They are understood to me :) but I didn't want to get into it, because
> > it is complicated to explain and I wasn't sure if anyone cared...
> >
> > I started working on open_by_handle_at() in userns for fanotify and
> > fanotify mostly reports directory fhandle, so no issues with
cross-directory
> renames.
> > In any case, fanotify never reports "connectable" non-dir file handles.
> >
> > Because my proposed change ALSO makes it possible to start talking
> > about userspace nfs server inside userns (in case anyone cares), I
> > wanted to lay out the path towards a userspace "subtree_check" like
solution.

> We have to support subdirectory exports and subtree checking because we
> already have, but, FWIW, if I were writing a new NFS server from scratch,
I don't
> think I would.  It's poorly understood, and the effort would be better
spent on
> more flexible storage management.

Yea, nfs-ganesha does not attempt to support subtree checking. It will allow
subtree exports, but it makes no assurance that they are secure. One option
though that turns out to work well for them is btrfs subvols since each
subvol has its own st_dev device ID, it's really as if it's a separate
filesystem (and nfs-ganesha treats it as such).

I'm curious about the userns solution. I'm not familiar with it, but we have
issues with running nfs-ganesha inside containers due to the privileges it
requires to properly run.