Re: [RFC] Hugepage collapse in process context

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021, David Hildenbrand wrote:

> > > Yes, this makes a lot of sense to me.

> > > Yes, madvise sounds like a good fit for the purpose.
> >
> > Agreed on both points.

> > > Would this MADV_F_SYNC be applicable to other madvise modes? Most
> > > existing madvise modes do not seem to make much sense. We can argue that
> > > MADV_PAGEOUT would guarantee the range was indeed reclaimed but I am not
> > > sure we want to provide such a strong semantic because it can limit
> > > future reclaim optimizations.
> > >
> > > To me MADV_HUGEPAGE_COLLAPSE sounds like the easiest way forward.
> >
> > I guess in the old madvise(2) we could create a new combo of MADV_HUGEPAGE |
> > MADV_WILLNEED with this semantic? But you are probably more interested in
> > process_madvise() anyway. There the new flag would make more sense. But
> > there's
> > also David H.'s proposal for MADV_POPULATE and there might be benefit in
> > considering both at the same time? Should e.g. MADV_POPULATE with
> > MADV_HUGEPAGE
> > have the collapse semantics? But would MADV_POPULATE be added to
> > process_madvise() as well? Just thinking out loud so we don't end up with
> > more
> > flags than necessary, it's already confusing enough as it is.
> >

> Note that madvise() eats only a single value, not flags. Combinations as you
> describe are not possible.
>
> Something MADV_HUGEPAGE_COLLAPSE make sense to me that does not need the mmap
> lock in write and does not modify the actual VMA, only a mapping.

Agreed, and happy to see that there's a general consensus for the
direction.  Benefit of a new madvise mode is that it can be used for
madvise() as well if you are interested in only a single range of your own
memory and then it doesn't need to reconcile with any of the already
overloaded semantics of MADV_HUGEPAGE.

Otherwise, process_madvise() can be used for other processes and/or
vectored ranges.

Song's use case for this to prioritize thp usage is very important for us
as well.  I hadn't thought of the madvise(MADV_HUGEPAGE) +
madvise(MADV_HUGEPAGE_COLLAPSE) use case: I was anticipating the latter
would allocate the hugepage with khugepaged's gfp mask so it would always
compact.  But it seems like this would actually be better to use the gfp
mask that would be used at fault for the vma and left to userspace to
determine whether that's MADV_HUGEPAGE or not.  Makes sense.

(Userspace could even do madvise(MADV_NOHUGEPAGE) +
madvise(MADV_HUGEPAGE_COLLAPSE) to do the synchronous collapse but
otherwise exclude it from khugepaged's consideration if it were inclined.)

Two other minor points:

 - Currently, process_madvise() doesn't use the flags parameter at all so
   there's the question of whether we need generalized flags that apply to
   most madvise modes or whether the flags can be specific to the mode
   being used.  For example, a natural extension of this new mode would be
   to determine the hugepage size if we were ever to support synchronous
   collapse into a 1GB gigantic page on x86 (MADV_F_1GB? :)

 - We haven't discussed the future of khugepaged with this new mode: it
   seems like we could simply implement khugepaged fully in userspace and
   remove it from the kernel? :)