Re: Continuing the UAPI split

On 11/7/19 3:32 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Carlos O'Donell:

>>> including both libc and linux headers is fragile and
>>> will break differently across the different linux
>>> libc implementations.
>>
>> We saw this all the time working in embedded.
>
> Do you mean you saw problems while you working in the embedded space?

Yes, embedded Linux to be specific.

There is a strong coupling between the kernel version and the toolchain
version, specifically because the strategies we take to solve these
problems end up being brittle in this regard.

Too new a kernel and you get new header problems not solved by your
old libc. Too new a libc and the kernel doesn't have the header
coordination fixes required for the newer software that needed the
newer libc.

Does that clarify my point?

--
Cheers,