Re: [RFC v4 0/9] NFS Force Unmounting

On Wed, Dec 06 2017, Jeff Layton wrote:

> On Wed, 2017-12-06 at 10:34 +1100, NeilBrown wrote:
>>
>> The new semantic for MNT_DETACH|MNT_FORCE is interesting.
>> As it was never possible before (from /bin/umount), it should be safe to
>> add a new meaning.
>> The meaning is effectively "detach the filesystem from the namespace and
>> detach the transport from the filesystem", which sounds like it is
>> useful.
>> It is worth highlighting this, and maybe even cc:ing
>> linux-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ... done that.
>>

> I'm not thrilled with the new flag combo, personally. Given that we're
> introducing new behavior here, I think it wouldn't hurt to add a new
> UMOUNT_* flag for this (UMOUNT_NUKE_FROM_ORBIT?).

Suppose we did... MNT_FORCE_PONIES. What would be the semantics of this
flag?  Once we had it, would anyone ever want to use MNT_FORCE again?

MNT_FORCE is already fairly heavy handled.  It abort an arbitrary
collections of RPC requests being sent for the given filesystem, no
matter where else that filesystem might be mounted.
Is it ever safe to use this flag unless you have good reason to believe
that the server is not available and there is no point pretending any
more?
And if that is the case, why not use the new MNT_FORCE_PONIES which is
at least predictable and reliable.

We've talking a lot about the one NFS filesystem being mounted in
multiple containers.  MNT_FORCE is already a problem for such mounts as
one contains can kill requests generated from another container.  Maybe
MNT_FORCE needs to be restricted to "real" root.
Once we restrict it, do we need to keep it from being too harsh?

What would be really nice is a timeout for umount, and for sync.
The timeout only starts when the filesystem stops making progress for
writeback.  If it eventually does timeout, then the caller can fall back
to MNT_DETACH if they are in a container, or MNT_FORCE if not.
(Maybe MNT_FORCE should map to MNT_DETACH in a container??? or maybe
not).

There is a lot here that still isn't clear to me, but one this does seem
to be becoming clear:  MNT_FORCE as it stands is nearly useless and it
would serve is well to find a semantic that it actually useful, and
impose that.

Thanks,
NeilBrown