Re: COW pages and FL_PUNCH_HOLE

On Tue, Dec 05, 2017 at 07:34:01AM -0800, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

> I don't see a discussion of this anywhere ... and I thought linux-api was
> the right place to ask.
>
> I see holepunch as being "like ftruncate() but for the middle of the file".
> So it feels weird to me that MAP_PRIVATE behaves differently; truncate
> will rip out COWed pages, but holepunch won't.  Is there a good reason for
> this behaviour, and is it too late to change?

I see truncate as 'change this global size property of a file' which is
why we'd rip out COWed pages past the new EOF, whereas punch hole is
more akin to writing zeroes to a certain file range.  This shouldn't
affect private mappings that a process has already written to and
therefore gotten its own copy...

...but the manpage says "It is unspecified whether changes made to the
file after the mmap() call are visible in the mapped region." so I guess
either way is fine?  Though who knows what now depends on the current
behavior, so changing it would be hard.

Thinking about this more, it seems weird that if you punch a range
starting before the cow'd page and ending after the cow'd page that a
reread of that part of the shared mapping now gets you zeroed pages
except for the cow'd page which is still intact...?

<shrug>

--D