Re: [Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] & [TECH TOPIC] Improve regression tracking

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 9:30 AM, Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Jul 2017 19:51:43 +0200
[..]

>> Ugh, pretty long mail. Sorry about that. Maybe I shouldn't have looked
>> so closely into LWN.net articles about regression tracking and older
>> discussions about it.
>
> Anyway, I know that selftests are not the answer for everything, but
> anything that has a way to reproduce a bug should be added to it. Sure,
> it may depend on various hardware and/or file systems and different
> configs, but if we have a central location to place all bug reproducing
> tests (which we do have), then we should utilize it.

I agree with Steven, and I would add that you don't necessarily need
specific hardware to write a test for a driver regression, see
examples in tools/testing/nvdimm. I also tend to think that
back-stopping regressions with new tests helps with the burn-out
problem of tracking regressions. Where building tools and tests is
potentially more fulfilling than just bug tracking.