Why no flag to unlink a file on creation?

Hello,
I'm not too familiar with the internals of the kernel, so this question
might be stupid, and I'm not sure whether this is the right place to ask
about it, but anyway:
Why is there no flag for the "open" syscall to specify that you want the
file you're opening to be deleted? I think that it would be very useful
in combination with O_CREAT - you could create temporary files without
actually leaving files on the filesystem, given that the filesystem
supports it.

Jann Horn