RE: Arches that don't support PREEMPT

From: Linus Torvalds
> Sent: 19 September 2023 18:25
>
> On Tue, 19 Sept 2023 at 06:48, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
> <glaubitz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > As Geert poined out, I'm not seeing anything particular problematic with the
> > architectures lacking CONFIG_PREEMPT at the moment. This seems to be more
> > something about organizing KConfig files.
>
> It can definitely be problematic.
>
> Not the Kconfig file part, and not the preempt count part itself.
>
> But the fact that it has never been used and tested means that there
> might be tons of "this architecture code knows it's not preemptible,
> because this architecture doesn't support preemption".

Do distos even build x86 kernels with PREEMPT_FULL?
I know I've had issues with massive latencies caused graphics driver
forcing write-backs of all the framebuffer memory.
(I think it is a failed attempt to fix a temporary display corruption.)

OTOH SMP support and CONFIG_RT will test most of the code.

	David

-
Registration No: 1397386 (Wales)

[Index of Archives]     [Netdev]     [Linux Wireless]     [Kernel Newbies]     [Security]     [Linux for Hams]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux Admin]     [Samba]