Re: Fwd: [Bug libc/10339] Terminal interface: non-standard baudrates are not handled properly on Linux-systems

On 10/7/18 1:05 AM, Tobias Klausmann wrote:

>> Alpha is a historic architecture at this point -- the last Alpha chip was the
>> EV7z which was released 14 years ago.  I am wondering to what extent anyone
>> cares enough to worry about support for new glibc on old Alpha kernels at this
                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> point; I kind of suspect the number of Alpha Linux users can be counted on two
>> hand's fingers.
>
> I'm the arch team lead for Alpha on Gentoo (team lead is sounding
> more grandiose than it is, my team is me and Matt Turner). Gentoo
> Linux is the last major distribution that still offers current
> alpha support, after Debian stopping to do so a few years back.
>
> It's hard to say how many alpha users there still are, but we
> still get bug reports and while #gentoo-alpha on Freenode is not
> a particularly busy place, we still get walk-in users with
> questions, usually about the the boot process and installing.
>
> Seeing as glibc is a central piece to Linux userspace, it ending
> support would probably mean that within a year or so, we (Gentoo
> Linux) stop supporting it for stable stuff, and thus security
> updates. Since that state would be unlikely to change in the
> future, we would probably make one last set of release
> files/media and then close up shop.
>
> How much bother is it to keep maintaining alpha as a supported
> target for glibc? Ultimately, it's a question if people want to
> put in the time. There will always be users as long as there is
> a supporting Linux distro, I guess.

The question is about if there is a reason to support a kernel/glibc version
mismatch.

	-hpa

[Index of Archives]     [Netdev]     [Linux Wireless]     [Kernel Newbies]     [Security]     [Linux for Hams]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux Admin]     [Samba]