Re: only root allowed login ...

Also check out the permissions of the directories above the users home
directories.  E.g., "ls -ld /", "ls -ld /home/".

Run "last" and if the logins apear there, also check the content of
the /etc/profile and ~account-that-cannot login/.profile.

On 12 June 2011 02:07, Gerardo Juarez-Mondragon <gerardojm1957@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> FTP and smtp do not require a full shell. Telnet does. The main
> difference between an ftp-only or mail-only user and a full system
> user is that the latter has a shell defined in its corresponding line
> in /etc/passwd. The others would have something like /sbin/nologin.
>
> If you can log in to ftp and transfer files back and forth, but not
> login with a shell, my guess is the user's  directory is not
> accessible. This could be due to a number of things:
>
> - the user's directory has been erased, or was changed in
> /etc/passwd. It could also have changed ownership (root can do that
> and it is not difficult to have it happen accidentally).
>
> - the shell field in /etc/passwd may have been erased or changed for
> that user,  so the account is ftp-only.
>
> Other variants that escape me now could be the cause, but the
> fundamental issue seems to be the impossibility to create a shell and
> assign a working directory to the account.
>
> Gerardo Juarez
>

> On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 12:42 AM, Markus Koßmann <mkossmann_ml1@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > Am Samstag, 11. Juni 2011 schrieb terry white:
> >> ... ciao:
> >>
> >>      all of a sudden, i am only able to login as root.  this is not
> >> something i was trying to accomplish, and at a loss in figuring out
> >> how i did.  anyway.
> >>
> >>      as a given, login as a valid user, with correct password, terminated
> >> immediately, with a new login prompt.  invalid login attempts iterate
> >> until a new session initiated.
> >>
> >>      ftp, and smtp allowed, telnet fails.
> >>
> >>      i'm not seeing anything mentioned in the logs with regard to failed
> >> normal user login.   i'm at a loss as to where i might start looking.
> >>
> >>      any thoughts, suggestion would be much appreciated ...
> > hard disk full ?
> >
> > --

"Life on Earth may be expensive,
 but it comes with a free ride around the Sun."