Re: Strange problem with scanner

Gerardo Juarez-Mondragon wrote:

> I have a mail server to which several Kyocera multifunction
> scanner/printers are connected. When a document is scanned, these
> devices can mail the scanned image through a mail account at the
> server. They each include a mail client. The problem is that they all
> complain about being unable to find the mail server. This happens at
> totally unexpected times and then, they suddenly start working again,
> as they normally have. The failure does not have a pattern: it may
> happen once a month and twice in a single week or day.
>
> Does any of you have an idea of what this problem might be, or have
> run across a similar situation?

Unless there's something relevant in the log files, I wouldn't waste
time trying to debug this through trial-and-error.

Use tcpdump (or similar) to monitor all traffic to/from the devices
For TCP, only log packets with the SYN or FIN flags (to avoid filling
the logs with bulk data transfers), but any non-TCP (including non-IP)
packets should be logged.

--
Glynn Clements <glynn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>