Re: deleted perl hacks in /tmp

On 16 April 2010 17:45, Chris <chris@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 02:28:09AM -0700, terry white wrote:
>> ... ciao:
>>
>> : on "4-15-2010" "Chris" writ:
>> : web servers which occasionally have hacks that are uploaded
>> : know more about them to actually prevent them from happening.
>> : Any thoughts would be appreciated!
>>
>>     from my reading, this is a security nightmare.  and , i , am hard
>> pressed to find a time when "what's" been uploaded, more important than
>> the fact, "that is was".
>>
>>     without a meaningful translation of "web server hacks" is a real
>> limiting factory in problem resolution.  however, your logs are your
>> friend; access, error, and referrer.
>>
>>     securityfocus recently disclosed a problem with apache and wordpress.
>>
>>     a specific description of the environment would be a big help ...
>
> These are large shared servers serving a lot of stuff.  I could only wish that
> I had control over how up to date all the web apps were!
>
> Anyway, in this case, finding what is being uploaded is fairly important since
> I don't have the luxery of having control over everything.  I don't have a
> problem with nuking the processes once started, but I would really like to
> prevent them from ever making it do disk and run to begin with.  In order to do
> that, I need a pretty good idea of what the hack looks like.  Not only that,
> pure curiousity plays a large role too.
>
> My question was not so much about web security (I would pick a different
> mailing list for that), as much as it was about whether anyone had experience
> or trickery to recover/trap file contents that someone is working really hard
> to hide.  Perl obviously read the file to run the sript (anyone can run perl,
> so any flags on the /tmp mount are pointless in this case, as perl can read
> /tmp all it wants).  Like I said before, reading the open file from proc yields
> nothing.
>
> I guess I might have to bite the bullet and set up a huge space to log a
> gazzillion POSTs until I can find what is.
> --

Is changing the filesystem type an option?  You could temporarily
create a new non-extn filesystem on a free partition and mount it on
/tmp.
In that case, you could  set the undeletable attribute on /tmp
("chattr +U /tmp").  It will be inherited by any file created there.
Problem is that extn doesn't honour the attribute, though you could
patch it if you prefer (cf. http://lwn.net/Articles/211193/).

Kind regards,

Herta

--
"Life on Earth may be expensive,
 but it comes with a free ride around the Sun."