RE: chattr immutable

> Dermot Paikkos wrote:
> >
> > mkdir myfolder; chmod 777 myyfolder; chattr +i myfolder
> >
> > Then from a windows box tried to delete the folder and got
> permissions
> > denied, so far so good. They I tried to copy a file to the folder
and
> > was denied also, not so good.
> >
> > I have tried a combinations of +i +a but I can't get the desired
> effect.
> > Is what I am attempting possible or should I create a new share and
> use
> > smb.conf to administer the file permissions?
>
> 1. "chattr +i" is a blunt instrument; once set, the file or directory
> is completely immutable.
>
> 2. "chattr +a" doesn't allow appends; it denies everything except
> appends, so "chattr +a +i" is equivalent to just "chattr +i".
>
> 3. Modifying a directory isn't an "append", so "chattr +a" isn't
> useful here.
>
> If filesystem permissions cannot be used (e.g. because both the
> directory and its parent need to be writable by the user), you can
> still prevent the directory from being deleted by adding a file or
> subdirectory which the user cannot delete.
>
> One option is to add a subdirectory, owned by root, writable only by
> root, and containing at least one file. The user won't be able to
> delete the file as they don't have write permission on the
> subdirectory, and a non-empty directory cannot be deleted.
>
> Another option is to just add a file within the directory and use
> "chattr +i" on the file.

One of the other things I was hoping to do was deny users from renaming
the folder or the other classic mistake, accidently drag and drop a
folder into another folder.

I can't think of a set of UNIX permission or smb.conf directives that is
going to allow make a directory readonly but allow a group to create
files within the directory.

Thanx for the suggestions though. They will have to do.

Dp.