Re: updating informations of file systems

Pol wrote:

> >> Sorry, i meant 'df'.
> >> Is it possible 'df' does not report the current amount of space used by
> >> partitions?
> >
> > No. Any allocation or deallocation of blocks will be immediately
> > reflected in the output from "df" (for local filesystems, at least;
> > there may be issues with networked filesystems).
> >

> Problem must be in the temp files and directories managed by ktorrent.
> According to ktorrent, 2 GB of a 4 GB directory have been downloaded in the
> last 24 hours, yet 'df' shows no sensible change of the available space in
> that partition.
> Remarkably, 'du -s' returns 4GB for that directory, although my guess is
> that size is only 2GB actually.

It's not uncommon for BitTorrent clients to start by creating all of
the files with the correct sizes, then insert the data into the files
as it's received.

If ktorrent does this, then it will use the full 4GB from the start,
so you wouldn't see any change in disk usage while it is running.

> How to double check size of that directory and files therein?

"du" will count the disk space actually used by each file, including
indirect blocks and slack space, and not counting holes (blocks of
zeros which aren't stored on disk). Files with multiple links are only
counted once.

Note that the result of "du -s ..." for the root of a filesystem won't
match the result of "df", as "du" doesn't count blocks which aren't
associated with a specific file (e.g. superblocks, inode table, free
space bitmap), or which belongs to a file with no links.

--
Glynn Clements <glynn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>