Re: installing multuple distributions

Pol,

Yes, it would certainly work. The important files to look at are, as you said, /etc/passwd and /etc/group; but also /etc/shadow. I don't think it's a good idea to make them the same because different distros will have different ways of doing things and different required administrative users and groups; things like lp, admin, etc. All you need to do is make sure that your own user entry (and those of other users of the system) has the same UID and belongs to the same primary group, which should have the same GID. Also, I'd make the passwords the same across the distros just to keep sane... Good luck!

Yuri

Pol wrote:
<posted & mailed>

I would like to test several distributions (say
kubuntu,mandriva,suse,arklinux) without changing my working place, when
switching from one to the other. So / /boot /usr /var of each distribution should be on the same partition,
while the /home partition should be shared among all.
Do you think that share /home would give rise to any inconsistencies?

Probably i should make sure that /etc/passwd and /etc/groups are the same in
all distributions.
Do you think it would work?

Thank you
Pol

Yuri Csapo
Academic Computing & Networking
Colorado School of Mines
CT-256
Phone:  (303) 273-3503
Fax:      (303) 273-3475
Email:   ycsapo@xxxxxxxxx

Please use the following link to open a service request:
http://helpdesk.mines.edu