How to inentify local source of connection (program and user)

Hi,

Recently I found some unidentified outgoing connections (UOC, instead of
UFO) from one of my linux machines (gentoo, firewall by vuurmuur.org via
ipTables). Those UOC occurs soon after boot time, even though I closed all
services. These are DNS calls.
   So I asked my friends full-time admins, how to check which program
requests access to internet, and what user started this program. If, for
example, RIAA would come to some University telling that from their IP
someone is downloading "Lilo & Stitch" illegally, the admin should be able
to tell who turned on bittorrent :) . And what stroke me was the fact, that
they actually didn't know! They asked me to hunt for those UOC, and then
type netstat with some options, to get the path to the binary, and locate in
someone's home directory (the bittorrent client won't be probably installed
as general bin for all users :) ).
   Any other idea how to do it? Can I force linux to log who and how is
requesting a outgoing connection?