Re: How to access contents of directory underneath mounted volume?

Glynn Clements wrote:
Guy Waugh wrote:

On a RHEL4 host, I have a mountpoint, /thing, with a SAN volume mounted at this mountpoint.

The local volume that contains the mountpoint (i.e. the volume that is mounted at /) is nearly full, and I'm suspecting it is because there are files on the local volume in the /thing directory. Of course, I can't get to the /thing directory by normal means (at least AFAIK), because there is currently a volume mounted at that mountpoint.

Does anyone know if it possible to access (i.e. see and delete) the files in the /thing directory without having to umount the SAN volume that is mounted at /thing?

If some existing process has its CWD underneath /thing, then you can
access that directory via /proc/<pid>/cwd.

You could use debugfs on the root fs, but I wouldn't recommend trying
to modify a filesystem while it's mounted r/w.

If you can't unmount the SAN because it's busy, you may still be able
to move its mount point with "mount --move". If you can allow for it
being unavailable briefly you could move it off just long enough to
rename the underlying directory, e.g.:

	mkdir /thing.tmp
	mount --move /thing /thing.tmp
	mv /thing /thing.orig
	mkdir /thing
	mount --move /thing.tmp /thing
	rmdir /thing.tmp

Thanks Glynn, the last suggestion using "mount --move" looks like the most useful. However, it's sounding like it's going to be easiest for me to schedule some downtime.

Cheers,
Guy.