Re: Files per directory

Beginner wrote:

Is that going to cause performance issues? The current file system ext3. Would anyone suggest a limit I should set for the maximum or say if they think 10K files is acceptable?

I'm no expert but the answer is probably: "depends on the application."

As far as I know there's no limit to the number of files in a directory currently in ext3. There IS a limit to the number of files (actually inodes) in the whole filesystem, which is a completely different thing. According to Wikipedia "If V is the volume size in bytes, then the default number of inodes is given by V/2^13 (or the number of blocks, whichever is less)." There's also a limit to the number of sub-directories in a directory, currently 32000.

What I can tell you is I have seen applications that use hundreds of thousands of files in one directory.

HTH

--
Yuri Csapo
Academic Computing & Networking

Please use the following link to open a service request:
http://helpdesk.mines.edu
With a PC, I always felt limited
by the software available.
On Unix, I am limited only by my knowledge.
--Peter J. Schoenster