Re: E-mail Server

Cloves Pereira Costa Jr wrote:

> First I want to apologize because English is not my native language.
>
> I want to know your opinion in witch e-mail server is "better": Sendmail
> or Postfix?
>
> I want to know because I'll have to implement a e-mail server in my
> company and I made some research and find that those two e-mail servers
> are most used.
>
> My minimum cenario is:
> 	- about 50 mail boxes
> 	- LDAP integrated
> 	- users quota
> 	- Anti-SPAM (obviously)
> 	- support to POP, IMAP and SMTP

Sendmail and Postfix are SMTP servers. As such, they only form part of
the solution. You will need separate packages for POP, IMAP, LDAP,
spam filtering, etc.

I don't have any opinion on which one is better, as I've only ever
used sendmail (when I had to make this choice, it was sendmail versus
smail).

Whichever option you choose, spend time learning the software before
putting it into production use. Running a mail server isn't like
running a web server.

First, the contents of a web server are normally supposed to be
public, while email is normally considered confidential. Any security
flaws are potentially much more serious with email.

Second, a malfunctioning web server will only affect people who try to
use it, while a malfunctioning mail server risks inconveniencing a far
wider audience. You can get onto an anti-spam blacklist (or even
several of them) in minutes; getting off usually takes a lot longer.

--
Glynn Clements <glynn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
-