Re: OS upgrade

My reasoning for saying that LVM uses files on the system disk was
not just the lvmtab which on Fedora4 is /etc/lvm and it's files
(lvm.conf) but also the /dev/ mappings, EG:

/dev/mapper/my_vol-scanning1
                       1.8T   718G   926G  44% /data

I was concerned about the recreation of the /dev files.

As it turned out, the CentOS set-up (Anaconda) detected the volume
but it complained about /dev/sdb which is odd as I don't have one:

/dev/sda2               13G   5.1G   6.5G  44% /
/dev/sda1              136M    23M   106M  18% /boot
/dev/shm               1.1G      0   1.1G   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda5              130G   1.1G   122G   1% /var

It didn't offer me the option of installing on the 137GB disk that is
the un-RAIDed system disk, least don't remember seeing it.

I wasn't confident enough to proceed so I rebooted to get a better
idea of existing disk arrangements. That lead to an fsck, at which
point I decided to call it a night as I did want to wait 2+ hours for
it to check the 1.8TB and then start the upgrade.

I'll have to try and find a longer window to do this in. I am not
sure about backing it up to a removable drive. I know it takes 4 LTO2
tapes and most of the weekend to back up the system. A restore would
take about the same.

I'll do an update around Easter I guess. Thanx for the responses.
Dermot.

-