RE: pam_passwdqc

Glynn,

I should have been more specific. RHEL chooses to use the existence of
pam.d rather than pam.conf for configuration of the security modules.
Within this directory, there is a text file, system-auth that has a
structure as follows:
	auth	required  /lib/security/$ISA/pam_env.so
		more auths related requires, requisites, etc

	account required /lib/security/$ISA/pam-unix.so
		more account related requires, requisites, etc

	password requisite /lib/security/$ISA/pam-cracklib.so
	password sufficient /lib/security/$ISA/pam-unix.so nullok
use_authtok md5 shadow
	password required /lib/security/$ISA/pam-eny.so

	session required /lib/security/$ISA/pam_limits.so
		more session related requires, requisites, etc

Then, for the various services such as passwd, sshd, etc they use
pam_stack.so as, in the case of paasswd;

	auth		required	pam_stack.so service=system-auth
	account	required	pam_stack.so service=system-auth
	password	required	pam_stack.so service=system-auth

to call the appropriate security module.

As is turns out, pam_passwdqc must be the first module called in the
password module stack to work properly. I originallyhad it under
pam-cracklib.so and it didn't work. Moving it before the cracklib module
corrected the problem.

Kirkwood, David A. wrote:

> For anyone interested, the solution seems to be that this module has
> Be the first module checked in the passwd authentication stack. Then
it
> seems to work, but I need to test further.

Password "QC" modules (e.g. pam_cracklib) normally go in the
"password" stack (used when setting/changing a password) rather than
the "auth" stack (used for authentication).

I have no experience with pam_passwdqc (I don't have it on my system),
so I can't answer the original question.

--
Glynn Clements <glynn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
-