Re: SAN for beginners

Hi Dermot,

As I'm sure you know, volumes could be (and have been) written about the
subject. Where I work we have a few different SAN type solutions and
without going into any details, this is a brief list of topics you may
want to get up to speed on:

- - Fiber channel vs. iSCSI
- - QLogic products for fiber channel
- - GFS - the global file system by RedHat

Very briefly, one of the systems I manage is a Hitachi SAN built around
a McData switch that has 2 fiber channel and 2 fiber gig-e ports; the
disks are all fiber channel but the servers connect to the SAN via the
fiber ethernet using iSCSI.

- From then on, LUNs on the SAN are seen by the servers as block devices
and. If you have separate LUNs for each server, you can just do what you
said: LVM -> samba. If you plan to have more than one server mounting
the same LUN (for redundancy perhaps) you need something like GFS which
will handle consistency and locking across the servers.

HTH

Beginner wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I need to add some about 10TB of storage to our infrasturce and went
> along to an storage exhibition to find out what was available. The
> biggest grey area for me was the filesystem and management. Without
> being too open-ended, I want to get some idea of what Linux-based
> solution I could use. All the manufacturers I talked to had no idea
> about how to manage and share their products unless they were Windows
> based even though they claim to support Linux.
>
> I had been presuming I would install the SAN gateway and the storage
> arrays, use LVM for the filesystem and Samba to share the data to
> Windows user and install Fibre-Channel cards to the other 3 servers
> that need access to the data. However I think that there is more to
> it than that and I could use some help understanding how it all hangs
> together and what (Linux) options there are. If there servers are to
> see the storage as block devices I imagine there is some proprierty
> software needed for the OS's.
>
> Currently I use FC4 on my servers and the are about 40 Windows users
> that need to access the data as well.
>
> Any thoughts or advice is much appreciated.
> Thanx,
> Dp.
>

> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-admin" in

- --
Yuri Csapo
Academic Computing & Networking
Colorado School of Mines
Green Center Rm 249
Phone:  (303) 273-3503
Fax:      (303) 273-3475
Email:   ycsapo@xxxxxxxxx

Please use the following link to open a service request:
http://helpdesk.mines.edu
With a PC, I always felt limited
by the software available.
On Unix, I am limited only by my knowledge.
- --Peter J. Schoenster
-