Re: CPU tests

On 03/31/2006 15:08 +0200, Miguel González Castaños wrote:
>>	Dear all,
>>
>>	 I am trying to launch CPU tests on a Pentium IV Prescott 3.0 Ghz with
>>	4Gb of RAM. I have tried some tests from distributed.net and everything
>>	seems to be ok, although with the test attached in the email (sorry for
>>	the size of the mail), I am experiencing some problems. As you can see
>>	with the static flag the number generation is faster than without that

That part is not surprising once you understand the dynamic linking
mechanism - it adds a small amount of overhead to every function call
into the library, because each function call is essentially an indirect
call. That said, the amount of overhead you're seeing does seem a bit
higher than I would expect (and the sqrt() case is possibly because
the compiler converts the sqrt() call into a fsqrt instruction in both
cases because of the -O3 - there is no instruction set equivalent for
the rand(), random() and log() cases).

				tw

--
twalberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx