Re: Throttle Users

Hello.

On linux you could do
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 80 -s source_ip -j DNAT --to-destination apache_running_machine:80
iptables -I FORWARD -s source_ip -p tcp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -s source_ip -p udp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT

considering you don't have a DROP policy or else you're gonna need to pass DNS both ways. Without DNS resolving i had problems reaching the page. For example: client tries to reach google.com, browser just hits timeout -> page cannot be reached. The request won't reach redirect if DNS is blocked.

on *BSD running ipf
rdr fxp0  source_ip/32 port 80 -> apache_running_machine port 80

or if using ipfw
ipfw add 200 divert 80 tcp from source_ip to apache_running_machine 80 via whateverif0

Again make sure firewall rules do not block client's DNS requests.

For the bandwidth shaping you need a queue with very tiny bandwidth figures and just throw every bad payer in. Look for ALTQ on Open/NetBSD or dummynet on FreeBSD, cbq/htb on linux.

--Adrian.