Problem on Fedora Core 4

I am having the following problem and I do not understand whether it is a hardware
problem or software.

I am running fc4 on an i386 desktop.

The first time the problem appeared like this: I mirrored some directories to
my second hard disk and when I made a diff

$ diff -ru <source dir> <target dir>

I found that the two subtrees were not the same. A few binary
files were different, one text file differed in exactly one character.

The copy was made with rsync, can it be a bug with rsync?
Anyway, I got convinced that it may be a hardware problem (the second hard disk
is rather old) and moved everything out of the "bad disk".

But then the problem came out again:

I copied a file from my laptop to the desktop. I copy everything to the _new_
hard disk, which is hopefully ok.
It is a long tar/gzip archive (1.4 GB). I also copied a MD5SUM of the file and
when I verified the MD5SUM I got an error. In fact the archive was corrupted
and wouldn't unpack.

Problem with rsync? Or with ssh (the problem also occurs with scp)?

Next trial was to split the file in small files, send them individually together
with their MD5SUM, verify them, and combine them into the original tgz.
When I verify them I see that some of them are not ok. So I transfer those files
again. And here I get some very strange:

I run md5sum -c ...
I get an error.
I run md5sum -c ...
again on the same file, it verifies OK!

Now I am totally confused, how can this be? This means that the _same_
file had different content after 10 seconds.

Can this be some hardware problem? Maybe the disk controller?

Thanks for any suggestion
Giorgio

-