Re: a command "spool", ie queueing commands?

In article <1122963263l.32575l.0l@hyttynen>, urgrue  <urgrue@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>i realized it would be useful to be able to add commands into a command
>queue, from where they would get executed in sequence. for example
>numerous large hard disk-intensive operations would be better executed
>in sequence rather than at once.
>in other words, exactly like a printer spool, but for commands. you
>could add commands in, list the queue, and remove from the queue.
>
>does anyone know of something like this?

GNU Queue is one such beast, though unfortunately the released versions no
longer compile in modern environments, and it's currently undergoing an
overhaul.  Find the pages on gnu.org for more details.

These days I use a set of simple bash scripts that do most of what you ask
except for the removal of commands (and you have to keep a command line
window open for each command).  But then, I wrote it for me.  :->

A couple of years ago I saw someone post about writing something similar in
python.  I'm not sure if this ``simple job manager'' at Stanford is it or
not:

http://www.slac.stanford.edu/BFROOT/www/Computing/Distributed/Bookkeeping/SJM/SJMMain.htm

mrc
-