Re: DNS caching nameserver problem

>> I have a DNS caching server that works ok until
>> it is rebooted. When this happens it restarts
>> normally, except the /etc/resolv.conf file is
>> altered and the server stops serving names. (The
>> line 'nameserver 127.0.0.1' is missing and other
>> namservers appear instead).
>>
>> The server obtains an address through DHCP and my
>> theory is that the DHCP server is providing it
>> with DNS servers as well, which it substitutes
>> when it probably shouldn't.
>>
>> I have tried a horrible patch in rc.local,
>> stopping named, overwriting resolv.conf with a
>> correct copy and restarting, but
>> editing the file and restarting 'named' does not
>> seem to work 100% of the time, requiring
>> sometimes one or two restarts of the service to
>> make it serve names for the internal hosts.
>>
>> What do you think is the problem?
>> Is there a workaround?
>
>   Yes, the problem is that your DHCP client is overwriting the
> resolv.conf file. How to avoid this, as far as I know, is
> distribuition specific. What distribution do you have?

pump, for example, includes an option --no-dns that tells it not to
overwrite /etc/resolv.conf.  I use this along with my cacheing DNS server.
I put 'nameserver 127.0.0.1' into /etc/resolv.conf, then I have pump run a
postprocessing script that extracts the DNS server information and writes
it to /etc/dnsmasq.conf, where dnsmasq (my cacheing name server) looks to
find the upstream DNS servers.

Good luck,
Andrew.

-