Re: graphic chars, set-font and sed

Luca Ferrari wrote:

> I've got a few problem with semigraphic chars (those used tipically in dos or
> in ncurses applications) under linux. Firs of all, if I use the setfont
> command on a tty I can see files with the above characters listed well, but I
> cannot do this on pseudo-tty (like those opened thru telnet or ssh). Any
> trick for this?

setfont operates at the hardware level, and is specific to the Linux
virtual terminal driver. It essentially uploads the specified font to
the graphics card. You have to run it on the system whose graphics
card you wish to reconfigure (i.e. the "terminal" end of an ssh or
telnet session, not the "server" end).

You can configure xterm etc to use a different font; there's a
standard "VGA" font (vga.bdf) which is bundled with a few programs
which require DOS compatible graphics (e.g. dosemu).

> Second, I've noticed that sed regular expressions get
> confused by the presence of multiple semigraphic chars, while a single one
> seems to work ok. Does anybody knows a way to "escape" those chars, in order
> to make them understandable to sed and other programs?

sed itself should be 8-bit clean; are you sure that this isn't an
encoding (e.g. ISO-8859-1 vs UTF-8) issue?

--
Glynn Clements <glynn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
-