Re: linuxsingle

> On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 05:20:36AM +0100, Ankit Jain wrote:
> ifanybody can tell me how to make changes in linux so
> that a person cannot move to linux single mode in any
> condition . not even from bootable CD

Depending on your PC you can:

1. Set the BIOS to boot only to HD.
2. Set a BIOS password to make sure no one changes your boot preferences.

With those taken care of you can:

3. Set a password on your bootloader.

No one should be able to boot from CD or change the bootloader options
without the BIOS and/or bootloader passwords. Please keep in mind that
there are plenty of ways to circumvent these measures if anyone has
physical access to the machine (reset your bios, replace your drives,
etc.). Linux is no more or less susceptible to these issues than other
platforms.

Actually, in many ways Linux on good PC hardware is safer than other
Unix platforms. On many platforms you can boot an arbitrary kernel on
an arbitrary device if you have access to the physical console. Many
of those platforms have no BIOS restrictions or bootloader security.
Some of those platforms may have the init path hardcoded or may have
single user prompt for a password, but these are really of minimal
security if you can boot an arbitary kernel on an arbitrary device,
especially if that device is the network!

thornton
-