Re: root password

On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 08:39:40PM -0800, Ankit Jain wrote:
> in this case the authenticity is a problem. still it
> can be changed by a boot CD even i think so u have
> apasswd for boot loader. so in this case what should
> be done?

Password on the bootloader will only stop those who are trying to get into
single user mode. In most cases, a boot CD will be loaded before the hard disk
is checked for a bootloader, and in that case the password protection would
be effectively bypassed.

If your bios supports it, you can turn on a CMOS password ... this is asked
the moment you turn your computer on from a cold boot, and must be entered
correctly before the bios will load any boot media (such as CDs, hard disks,
floppy disks, etc). However it is fairly easy to read the CMOS password on a
running system, and it can be erased by resetting the CMOS chip's battery.
So a determined person (such as a computer thief) will be able to bypass all 3
password protections.

There is the additional factor of password protecting your file systems (by
means of encryption) but this is not a trival undertaking (there is no single
'what command do i type' to do this, and unless this is a fresh install or you
have fresh backups there is the possibility of losing all your data in the
conversion if something goes wrong). And it only protects your data from being
read, a thief could still bypass CMOS password and load up bootCD to erase
everything on your disk.

> and also is there any other flaws which are
> openly known i am not intrested to destruct any system
> but want to know which is already known to ppl that if
> root passwd can be changed any other way also?
>
> thanks to all for helping me out

I would recommend looking at linuxsecurity.com or the security advisorys on
linux.com

-