Re: 2GB max file size

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:33:35 +0200, Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Actually I'm trying with zip, that fails if the file becomes bigger than 2 GB.
> SInce I remember that, due to the i-node structure, unix cannot handle a file
> greater than 2GB, I was wondering the problem was of the filesystem and not
> of the program itself. However, before renouncing to use zip, is there
> something I can do on the filesystem to handle bigger files?

The limitation was lifted quite a while ago.

It could be an old format of the filesystem that still lives with the
limitation, or it could be a limitation in the version of zip that you
use. I use tar, so I'm not sure when or if the 2G limitation was fixed
in zip (I have a hard time believing it wasn't).

Make sure your reiserfs is sufficiently new format. I can't remember
when reiserfs began support of files >2G, but anything v3 should
certainly be capable, and probably anything v2. ext3, IIRC, has always
supported >2G files, so the support for 2G files is at least as old as
ext3.

thornton
-