From: linux-admin-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:linux-admin-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jens Knoell
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 6:02 PM
To: eatley@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: linux-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Best way to enable 'guest' access onto Linux fileserver?

Eve Atley wrote:

>Thanks everyone who responded to this question. I have tested it, but
>still am unable to provide public access, either with or without a
>password. Perhaps I have set up something incorrectly. Allow me to
>present what's inside the smb.conf file...
>
>[global]
>        workgroup = WOWCORP
>        netbios name = SERVER
>        server string = WOW corp server
>        encrypt passwords = Yes
>        obey pam restrictions = Yes
>        pam password change = Yes
>        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
>        passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
>*passwd:*al
>l*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
>        unix password sync = Yes
>        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
>        max log size = 0
>        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
>        os level = 70
>        dns proxy = No
>        hosts allow = 192.168.10. 127.
>        printing = lprng
>        guest account = samba
>        map to guest = Bad User
>
>[home]
>        path = /home
>        invalid users = root bin linux daemon adm sync shutdown halt
>mail news uucp operator
>        printable = no
>        hide dot files = yes
>        hide files = /.*/
>        admin user = eve
>        writable = yes

Which version of samba are you running? If its older than 2.2 you may
need to add "security = user" to the global section. Also, it may help
to temporarily set samba to debug mode and see what it tells you when a
guest connects.

-
the body of a message to majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx More majordomo info at

-