Re: Best way to enable 'guest' access onto Linux fileserver?

Hi Eve

Eve Atley wrote:

Sorry if my subject is misleading. What I am hoping to do is give 'guest'
access to our 'public' directory (home/shared/public and nothing else) for
consultants who visit us inside the office on a case-by-case basis. This is
to enable consultants to share files across the network when they visit.

Right now, we use Samba credentials (ie. Somebody/password) on our Redhat 9
box, and match their computer logon (Somebody/password) to that so people
don't have to enter a special username/password to connect to our server.
Therefore, all our employees have their own username/password combo on their
computers, as well as their own samba username/password that matches.

So say Joe comes in as a consultant, logged in as joe/computerpassword.
Obviously, when he attempts to access our server, he recieves a prompt
asking him for a username/password, since no joe/computerpassword exists on
our Linux box.

So how would you handle this? By creating a guest/guest account on the Linux
box that allows access to only /home/public, then giving that info to a
consultant on an as-needed basis? Or some other way?

Thanks,
Eve

I think this is what you're looking for:

[everyone]
  comment = Public guest directory
  browseable = yes
  writeable = yes
  path = /home/shared/public
  guest ok = yes
  public = yes
  printable = no
  force create mode = 0777
  force directory mode = 0777
  create mode = 0777
  security mask = 0777

And in the global section:
  map to guest = Bad User

Make sure the permissions for directory /home/shared/public are 0777.

This configuration literally allows everyone to connect with r/w access, no matter what username/password they use.

-