Re: NFS behaviour on server crash

	Thank you very much for the provided information.
	I am asking because I want to implement an centralized clamav mail
scanner, which AFAIK would work, only if I mount the directories in
which the mail is scanned on the server. First I mounted the directories
on the server so the clamav client is actually NFS server.
	Then I realized that I do not know what will happen if the clamav
client / NFS server will crash.
	The behavior which you described (for hard mounted directories) will
work just fine.

	Thanks for your time.

On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 15:11 +0000, Jamie Border wrote:
> s/kill killed/is killed/g
>

> On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 15:11:17 +0000, Jamie Border <jborder@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Venelin
> >
> > It Depends :-)
> >
> > Assuming hard mounting (see link below),
> >
> > The client machine will behave normally until a process on the client
> > tries to open a file on the nfs server.  It will then block (hang)
> > until either:
> >
> > 1) The nfs server is up and running again
> > 2) The client process kill killed (kill -KILL <processid>)
> >
> > You could get round this by soft-mounting the nfs share, but this will
> > probably break software using files over it.
> >
> > For more info, see:
> >
> > http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/client.html#SOFT-VS-HARD
> >
> > Or try searching for "nfs server crash" on google.
> >
> > Hope this helps
> >
> > Jamie
> >

> > On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 16:50:42 +0200, Venelin Mihaylov <venelin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Hello list :),
> > >  I have the following question:
> > >   What will happen when an NFS server crashes while a client has mount a
> > > NFS directory from that server ?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Venelin Mihaylov, CCNA
> > > System Administrator