Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS or ES for server?

We are a small company (less then 20 people) that is currently running
Redhat Linux 9 as a fileserver. We have a firewall router set up currently
that is wreaking havoc, and we had previously had used the Linux box as a
firewall and router hooked up to our shared T1 line. We're looking to return
to that system again. With cost as a factor, can we get away with Redhat
Linux WS for this purpose?

Additionally, we had abandoned the Linux system as a firewall/router for 2
reasons: to be less machine dependent, and because our ethernet cards kept
insisting on switching upon reboots (thereby causing all sorts of problems).
If we upgrade to ANY version of Redhat Enterprise, would this solve our
issues at all, or are we totally barking up the wrong tree? The system
should probably be upgraded anyway as the GUI is as slow as molasses.

Thanks so much,
Eve

-