DVD burning problems

I've recently bought a Packard Bell Easynote laptop. It comes with a
"_NEC DVD+/-RW ND-6500A" DVD/CD ReWriter.

The machine used to have XP on it, it now has Gentoo 2004.q4 and I'm
running the Gentoo-patched 2.6.9 kernel. IDE-SCSI is not enabled.

If I attempt to burn a DVD+R using either K3B, or doing by hand using
growisofs, the burning appears to work properly - no errors are
printed, I get no buffer underruns. However, when I come to mount the
DVD again I get the following error:

attempt to access beyond end of device
hdc: rw=0, want=68, limit=4
isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hdc, iso_blknum=16, block=16

After having a google around the web, I installed kernel 2.4.26,
enabled IDE-SCSI and tried again. Again the burning seemed to work OK,
but I can't mount the DVD, it gives the same error.

I even made an ISO image on my HDD first, and mounted that using the
loopback device just to see if the data I was writing to the DVD was
correct. The ISO image mounted properly.

Before I wiped XP from this machine, I made a test DVD+R. I can mount this OK.

What's confusing me quite a lot is that if I put the DVD into my
DVD-video player it reads it OK... I currently don't have any other
PCs with DVD-ROM drives to test the disks in, but it's not so good if
I can't read them in this machine.

Curiously enough, if I attempt to 'dd' the contents of the DVD back to
my hard drive, it reads 4k and then stops - no matter what settings I
give dd. If I put in the working DVD I burnt, it reads the whole thing
OK.

The disks have all been burnt as single-session DVD+Rs with either
Joliet+RockRidge, or UDF.

Any ideas about what might be going wrong? This machine contains an
Intel mobile P4 CPU, so is running an SMP kernel.

--
http://www.piku.org.uk - Outdoor Photos: http://www.piku.co.uk
-