Re: smp question

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
| Matías López Bergero wrote:
|> I have a SMP capable server, but with only one cpu installed.
|> Should I enable SMP support on the kernel? I'm trying to reach the best
|> performance.
|> The cpu is Intel Xeon, this option is not in the cpu list in the kernel
|> config. Should I chose P4 or P3? it is the same?
|
| IIRC, Xeon processors have dual internal cores (or at least dual
| instruction decode paths), and act like dual processors, and benefit
| from the SMP kernels.  Also, IIRC, there were both P3 and P4 Xeons made.
|  So, you have to know which version you have.
|
| What does "cat /proc/cpuinfo" tell you?

I'm seeing two processors, I had notes this before, but I was in doubt
if that output was produced by the SMP kernel, or the Xeon cpu, now
according to what you are telling me, it's a feature of the Xeon cpu right?

Here is my cpuinfo:

sh-2.05b# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 2
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz
stepping        : 9
cpu MHz         : 2800.195
cache size      : 512 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
runqueue        : 0
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2
ss ht tm
bogomips        : 5583.66

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 2
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz
stepping        : 9
cpu MHz         : 2800.195
cache size      : 512 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
runqueue        : 0
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2
ss ht tm
bogomips        : 5596.77

sh-2.05b#

Thanks for ur help Kevin!