Re: Administering a thousand hosts

Darío Mariani wrote:

Hello:
I'm facing the problem of administering a thousand servers
distributed all over Latin America. All servers will be similar
(probably a RedHat based distribution) and will not have critical data
stored locally.
Does anyone know of some tips, documentation or programs for
administering such monster from a single location?.
I've tested cfengine but seems oriented to an heterogenenous network
and I feel that it cannot help if the number of hosts exceeds 40 or
50.

My recommendation would still be cfengine. Whilst more difficult to do it is still possible to administer a large volume of servers - especially if there is no critical local data. I'd also recommend Nagios (www.nagios.org) for systems monitoring - excellent for many remote hosts.

Regards

James

--
James Turnbull <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>