Re: Set the prompt.

Edward Parrilla wrote:

> thanks for your answer. I found that what I have set works but when I
> logging through X-Window session; however  it does not work if I go
> through an X-term or Term session.
> What is the difference.

Some of the startup files (e.g. ~/.profile, ~/.bash_profile,
~/.bash_login, /etc/profile) are only read for "login" shells.

By default, xterm doesn't run a login shell. You can make it do so by
adding the "-ls" switch, setting the loginShell X resource, or by
explicitly specifying the -l switch to bash, e.g. "xterm -e bash -l".

Alternatively, you could put the commands into ~/.bashrc instead; that
is read for all interactive shells, not just login shells.

The main reason for the distinction is that environment variables only
need to be set once, then they will be inherited by all child
processes. If an environment variable is set based upon its previous
value (e.g. "PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH ; export PATH"), and you were
to do this in ~/.bashrc, the change would be made again every time you
started a subshell.

--
Glynn Clements <glynn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
-