Re: Urgent: Sendmail Help

Tony Gogoi wrote:
I am building a sendmail server as a central mail hub. I installed
sendmail from source, imap from source. But I installed procmail through
RPM file after installing sendmail. Would I need to compile sendmail?

The last line should read "Would I need to RE-compile sendmail?"

And the answer remains: No, use of procmail (or not) is controlled via the sendmail.cf file (built from sendmail.mc). Which leads me to ask:
If you installed procmail from RPM, why not sendmail as well? That way you'd be sure that the two installations will play well with each other (assuming the 2 RPMs come from the same release....)

Also imap is irrelevant right now as mail should at least be written to
the user's /var/spool/mail. Retrieving the mail would perhaps be a
different issue.

What are the permissions on /var/spool/mail? I seem to remember they must be reletively secure or sendmail will complain.

How are you starting sendmail?

What user is senmail running as?

What's in your /var/log/maillog concerning sendmail's startup?

Right now, the server is on the private LAN and isolated from all other
servers.  The only interaction is with the server and a PC. So any mail
sent to the server from the PC should get written to the users'
/var/spool/mail box and thats all.

Assuming that the permissions allow it to....

Also why  permission denied on the .forward file? That file doesn't
exist.

What .forward file? Is sendmail trying to read another user's $HOME dir (while attempting to deliver an email?) and can't because sendmail doesn't have sufficient access to even read the directory that is supposed to contain the .forward if it *was* present?

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx