Re: telnet server,ftp server

on 10/5/04 10:36 AM, Stone at xstonedogx@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> What is the diff. between :[sf@df]#service httpd start
>> and the command
>> [sdf@sdfd]#httpd
>
> The former runs the init script (/etc/init.d/ or somewhere similar
> depending on your system) that starts HTTPD.  It may do more than just
> start the daemon, for example, it may specify a config file, empty a
> log file, add a virtual IP to your NIC, or anything else that needs to
> be done.  The only way to know what it actually does is to read the
> init script.
>
> The latter simply runs the daemon.

Please forgive me if I'm going too basic.  I noticed that this hasn't been
brought up yet, but by default, both Telnet and FTP servers are typically
serviced by inetd (or xinetd), and not started via the init.d scripts.

Check your /etc/inetd.conf file (or in the /etc/xinetd.d directory).  Both
inetd (older) and xinetd (newer) listen for requests for different services.
When the request is received, it starts up the respective daemon.

A side note, though.  You should really consider using SSH instead of telnet
(or FTP, for that matter).  OpenSSH (which is almost always installed by
default) runs as a daemon (typically, /etc/init.d/ssh start or
/etc/init.d/sshd start).  To remotely connect to the host, type "ssh
username@host".  To FTP files to or from the host, type "sftp
username@host".  Or, if you know the file's location, and you just want to
issue a remote copy command (to or from), type "scp <file>
username@host:<path>"

Hope that helps.

 - Jon

-