Re: quota problems (again)

On Tuesday 07 September 2004 14:05 your cat walking on the keyboard wrote:

> On Monday 06 September 2004 18:30 your cat walking on the keyboard wrote:
> > Hi,
> > it happened again: quota is saying that a user has exceeded the granted
> > space while I cannot find files that do it. Allow me to proceed in order:
> >
> > mammuth:~# quota -u alonso
> > Disk quotas for user alonso (uid 2220):
> >      Filesystem  blocks   quota   limit   grace   files   quota   limit
> > grace
> >       /dev/hda5 4021252*  10000   12000            2879       0       0
> >
> > The quota is applied to the /dev/hda5 partition only, that includes /tmp
> > directory. I've run the following command:
> >
> > find / -uid 2220 >quota.txt
> >
> > of course having a check on the user id (2220) in the /etc/passwd file.
> > The file has reported that the user owns files only a few directories,
> > and a du -hs on those directories gave to me a total amount of 8 MB, less
> > than the 10 of quota roof. Furthermore, quota gives a 2879 files owned by
> > the user, while executing
> > cat quota.txt | wc -l
> > gives a 1519 that is the about the half!
> >
> > I've tried with a quotacheck over the partition, but the situation
> > remains the same. What can be? Any idea?
>
> I've found that find / -uid 2220 reports a few files that do not exists on
> the filesystem, thus I've run a fsck (that has fixed a few files), then
> quotacheck again, but the situation has not changed.
> I don't know what else can I do to fix the problem, any idea?

Well, I don't know if the two things are related each other, I believe yes. A
couple of days ago the disk stopped working, and the kernel was saying that
it was unable to mount the disk due to a bad superblock. Starting the system
from a live cdrom and mounting it works, even if I cannot mount at boot. fsck
does not report any error, while doing a chroot freeze the machine. This time
it's a quantum fireball, and I don't have any idea of what can be happened.
Thoughts?

Luca

--
Luca Ferrari,