Re: Monolithic kernel again

hmm.

I haven't used RH in years, so I'm not sure what the initrd lines are about.  Also, what are you doing a "make install" on?

I build my 2.4.x kernel's via make mrproper (if it's new), make (menu)config, make dep && make bzImage all in the top level kernel source. Then cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage over my current kernel (for me it's /boot/vmlinuz).  Well, first I backup the current one to /boot/vmlinuz.old, then overwrite.  Then I update /etc/lilo.conf accordingly.

My lilo.conf file is something like this (yours will be a bit diff. of course):

boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hda2
default=Linux-2.4.20
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=Linux-2.4.20
	read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz.old
        label=Linux-2.4.19
	read-only

Then I run lilo and get a nice pat on the back...usually.

-Matt