Re: reiserfs UncorrectableError (Crappy Maxtor)

markus reichelt said:

> strangely, my older maxtor drives (with 80 GB capacity and below) work
> fine for 3+ years, even in heavy use. the problems started with those 120+
> drives...

The problem only really started in the last year an a half.  Before that,
Maxtor _was_ a good company.  IBM even used Maxtor drives in all there
desktops, for the longest time.  AFAIK, and from personal experience, only
the thin Diamondmax drives were causing problems.

The big problem is, even after thousands of RMAs, Maxtor has done nothing
about it.  Now my RMAs are even coming back with someone else's OS on
them.

Recently I picked up a drive from a local office supply store, some cheap
third party thing for home use, open it up and find a Maxtor Diamondmax
drive in the box.  Nothing no the box saying what was inside, just a
really cheep price tag.

So, now you know where your RMAs are going, make sure to leave a Linux
Master Boot Record on them so home users can't install Windows and will be
forced to take them back before they burn out in the 3-6 months of their
expected life cycle.

--
Scott
-